So our nighttime routine with Lia is to read a book or two in the rocking chair. Unlike Ian who at 9 months would already sit still and focus intently on the book you were reading--Lia seems to lose interest very quickly, wanting to turn the page before you are done reading, then wanting to turn back to the previous page, then half-way through the book reaching for another book on the night table. Then, if you switch books thinking she really wanted another book, she'll start the same routine again after a few pages. I just recently figured out that the only way to keep Lia's interest through a whole book is to make it much more 'multimedia' by using more sound effects and hand movements to go along with what we are reading. But I digress--back to the bedtime routine.
So after we're done reading, it's lights out and if she's very tired she'll soon pass out (as will I on occasion). Then after I have thoroughly enjoyed cuddling her and patting her gently on her back while she snoozes (every night I think I have to enjoy this while I can because they grow up so fast) I ease myself up from the rocking chair and then put her down in the crib. It's funny how kids can be so different. Putting Ian into the crib was as complex an operation as the famous CIA vault scene from "Mission Impossible" when Tom Cruise is suspended from the ceiling by a cable--one false indelicate move and Ian would be awake and screaming for you to pick him up. Lia, on the other hand, you can practically bounce off the mattress and she'll just roll over and be on her way to snoozeville.
Some nights though, Lia won't fall asleep while you're rocking her. Instead, she'll rest her head on your shoulder for a while, then she'll pick up her head and stare at you in the dark, then she'll rest her head on your other shoulder. Then she'll start caressing your face with her hand or try to take your glasses off before resting her head on your shoulder again and giving you a hug. Some nights it's clear she won't settle down and I have to say "Ok Lia, Buenas noches. Es tiempo para dormir. Duermes bien. Te quiero mucho." and then I just put her in her crib and pat her back and leave the room. Most nights lately she'll stay quietly in her crib and that's that. Some nights, she'll start to cry and yelp, but once you leave the room, she'll settle down in a few minutes and fall asleep.
Saturday night was a first though. After I closed the door to her room I didn't simply hear crying, but a very pathetic "Da Deeeeeeee. Da Deeeeeeee. Da Deeeeeee." amidst the crying. Flora was downstairs in the kitchen listening to this on the monitor and thought, "he's toast." She was right. Whereas I have been able to withstand the crying in the past, throwing the 'Da-deees' in was a very effective technique. I couldn't possibly resist so I ended up going back in and rocking her to sleep for another 15 minutes. I just told myself I'd be tougher next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment