Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pay attention to me!

Lia is very sensitive to being ignored. Correction: She will NOT be ignored!

I went to pick her up Monday and Vanessa had Lia and Caleb in two bouncy seats in front of her. She was feeding Lia a bottle with one hand and bouncing Caleb's seat with the other. Lia's back was toward the door, so she didn't see me as I gathered up her stuff. Then she finished her bottle and I peered over her head. She arched her back up and stared at me, then tried to twist around to see me. Since I didn't reach over and pick her up within 1/100 of a second, she started (fake) crying.

This morning after I fed her, I took her downstairs and put her in the Exersaucer while I got her bottles and Ian's lunch together. She was very happy playing with the toys for a while, then I walked by her and she realized that I was in the room and not paying attention to her. She got up on her tippy toes and was looking for me over the tabletop. She had to make sure I wasn't leaving the room. Then I took her back upstairs, fed her some more, got her dressed for school and plopped her in the laundry basket with a SpongeBob towel (she loves to play/chew on clothes, towels, etc.) and she amused herself while I got ready. She lost patience about 10 minutes later.

I took her downstairs, buckled her into the carseat. Sharp screams of protest. Then calm as I gave her a binky and the towel. I put her in the car first and then went back to lock up while Jeff put Ian in the car. She sat quietly waiting and amusing herself the whole time. When we got to school, I put her in a bouncy seat while I put her stuff away. Ian always stands against the wall by the door waiting because he refuses to take his shoes off or put shoe covers on. No shoes are allowed in the baby room to keep the floors clean. She sat quietly, watching, cooing, smiling. Then I leaned down to give Caleb a smile and a squeeze and I heard a high-pitched screech. I looked over and she was starting her fake cries, so I said, "What's the matter? I'm not paying attention to you?" and leaned down and gave her a kiss. Instantly, the crying stopped and she gave me a big smile. Pat, one of the teachers who fills in wherever she is needed, was like, "Mitzie, did you see that? Wow!" (Mitzie was busy changing a diaper.)

Ian gave her a kiss goodbye and she smiled and smiled. It was a good morning!

No comments: